Top 7 Do’s for Successful Improvisation
Do you think you can’t improvise? Nonsense! All you need are a few chords, the right attitude, and a piano or keyboard. Follow these seven principles and you’ll be improvising at the keyboard in no time!
1. Do listen to what’s going on inside yourself before and while you sit down to play – your inner state will determine the emotional quality of your playing
2. Do let go of the need to be perfect. Trying to “be correct” will defeat the playful attitude necessary for improvisaiton
3. Do believe that you are good enough to begin. No one person knows it all so you might as well jump in and experience the joy of improvisation.
4. Do realize that you don’t need a lot of theory or technique before you’re ready to play piano in the new age style. If you don’t begin now, when will you?
5. Do understand that improvisation is not some mysterious skill, but a game that can be learned and played just like any other game
6. Do enjoy the process and let go of the outcome. Trying to control what comes out of you is a sure way to stop the creative flow
7. Do stop playing when you become bored or indifferent. There is a natural starting and stopping point to playing. Just like anything, when you feel yourself growing disinterested, stop playing.